This Week on JungleDrums:
Your host AcuteJungle66, joined by SergeantJay, delve into this week’s gaming news! Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds has its first eSports tournament scheduled, we have details and musings on Nintendo Switch sales figures, plus some talk about the AMD Radeon RX Vega and more!
Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds took the gaming scene by storm with its early access release, charity streams, endearing itself to the streaming community, getting a release date for Xbox One and now, its first eSports tournament has been officially scheduled for next month. This tournament format will be a little different than usual, featuring 80 players who play in a three-game set to determine the winner. There will also be competitions in all modes of the game: solo, duo, first-person duo, and squad.
Nintendo’s E3 performance for 2017 was quite exciting, showcasing some great new titles for their newest console, the Nintendo Switch. So far, the Switch’s sales have soundly trounced its predecessor, the WiiU, but it’s also showing promise to sell close to the same amount as the Xbox One in its initial launch. The console war has been primarily between Sony and Microsoft for a better part of a decade, but it looks like Nintendo might have a horse in this race.
- MS Paint is officially being discontinued, as Microsoft has decided to end its 32-year run by replacing it with Paint 3D.
- Dragon Ball FighterZ‘s closed beta has been announced, going from September 16th through the 18th. Registration for the beta has also been delayed until August 22nd. So far, this has appeared to be a top-tier fighting game, with many the community already putting it on par with Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Guilty Gear.
JungleDrums is a weekly news show run by one of Scholarly Gamers’ dedicated streamers, AcuteJungle66. Topics discussed in the show focus heavily on gaming, highlights, streams and tech, but will typically hover around hot-button topics of the week. Joining AcuteJungle66 are a rotating selection of guests, ranging from friends and those interested in the topic at hand, fellow Scholarly Gamers, or members of raiding parties from gaming staples of his such as The Division or Rainbow Six Siege.
Check out #JungleDrums weekly:
- Live on https://mixer.com/AcuteJungle66 on Thursdays at 9pm GMT.
- Archived episodes on AcuteJungle66 JungleDrums
- Hosted at scholarlygamers.com or the Scholarly Gamers YouTube playlist
AcuteJungle66 has been dabbling with tech ever since he tried improving the tape deck of his Commodore 64 back in the ’80s. Tech and Gaming have both been interests of his for several decades, but he also enjoys the great outdoors as often as he can.
As a proud Military Veteran who spent much of his life on 3 different continents, he is quite content being back home in Scotland; where he enjoys a much ‘quieter’ life these days.