When Epic Games tweeted about their upcoming Avengers-inspired event that would bring Marvel’s infamous villain, Thanos, to the Fortnite Battle Royale mode, fans of the builder-shooter were quick to share the news very rapidly. Just 24 hours later (at the time of this writing) and the original Tweet has been shared over 100,000 times and liked by more than 250,000 individuals.
Server maintenance and patch rollout began around 4am EST (1am PST), and is available now for players across all platforms. A video published to Fortnite‘s YouTube channel earlier on today formally announced and revealed Thanos to the Fortnite world:
Fortnite v4.1 Patch Notes
Also published on the Epic Games site for Fortnite are the v4.1 Patch Notes, which can be read here. An excerpt is presented below that pertains to the new Battle Royale mode crossover event; follow the link to read more about changes made to gameplay, user interface, weapons / items, performance, and more.
LIMITED TIME MASHUP: INFINITY GAUNTLET
- Take down Thanos, equip the Gauntlet and claim Victory!
- Mashup Details
- Early in the match, a meteor will land in the storm safe zone, delivering the Infinity Gauntlet.
- Any player who uses the Infinity Gauntlet will transform into Thanos.
- Stats are recorded for this LTM and can be found in the Solo tab.
- If Thanos is eliminated, the Gauntlet will fall to the ground, free for the taking. If it sits unused for too long, it will disappear until another meteor appears.
- Last player standing will be the victor!
- Thanos Details
- Ability 1 – A mighty punch that knocks enemies back and destroys structures.
- Ability 2 – Thanos flies towards the ground, hitting an area for knockback and damage.
- Ability 3 – Harness the energy of the Power stone to fire a blast that deals damage over time.
- Ability 4 – A super-jump that can vault Thanos over all but the largest obstructions.
- Thanos has both shields and health. When he eliminates another player, his shields regenerate. His health never regenerates.
- Thanos doesn’t take fall damage.
- Thanos does not build, use weapons or things like launch pads. He has no need for such petty human devices.
- Storm + Map
- Maximum match length is roughly 15 minutes.
- The match will start with the storm circle already closing in over the island.
- The storm does more damage than normal, ticking for 5% health during the first circle and 10% for the rest of the game.
- Only Rare, Epic & Legendary weapons will be spawned.
- Increased chances of treasure chests spawning from 50-70% to 80-90%.
- Increased chances of ammo boxes spawning from 65-80% to 85-95%.
- Floor Loot spawns nearly 100% of the time.
- Launchpad spawn likelihood greatly increased.
- Harvesting resources doubled.
- Resources found in loot increased from 30 to 60.
- Chug Jug, Port-A-Fort, Boogie Bomb, Slurp Juice, Bush, and Remote Explosives drop rate increased.
- Regular Grenade, Shield & Bandage drop rate lowered.