This Week on JungleDrums:
Your host, AcuteJungle66, is joined by SergeantJay and CptGimboid (eventually), to delve into this week’s gaming and tech news! Whilst a few news items were on the docket, the gang only discussed one thing: Destiny 2!
- Destiny 2 is an online-only multiplayer first-person shooter video game developed by Bungie and published by Activision. It was released for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on September 6, 2017, with a Microsoft Windows version scheduled for release the following month on October 24. It is the sequel to 2014’s Destiny and its subsequent expansions.
- Set in a “mythic science fiction” world, the game features a multiplayer “shared-world” environment with elements of role-playing games. Players take on the role of a Guardian, protectors of Earth’s last safe city as they wield a power called Light to protect the Last City from different alien races. One of these races, the Cabal — led by the imposing Dominus Ghaul — infiltrate the Last City and strip all Guardians of their Light. The player sets out on a journey to regain their Light and find a way to defeat Ghaul and his Red Legion army and take back the Last City.
- Like the original, activities in Destiny 2 are divided among player versus environment (PvE) and player versus player (PvP) game types. In addition to normal story missions, PvE features three-player “strikes” and six-player raids.
- A free roam patrol mode is also available for each planet and features public events as well as new activities not featured in the original. These new activities have an emphasis on exploration of the planets and interactions with non-player characters (NPCs) on the planets; the original Destiny only featured NPCs in social spaces.
- PvP features objective-based modes, as well as traditional deathmatch game modes. All PvP game modes are four-versus-four, a change from the previous installment, which featured six-versus-six, three-versus-three, and two-versus-two variants.
JungleDrums is a weekly news show run by Scholarly Gamers’ Content Coordinator, AcuteJungle66. Topics discussed in the show focus heavily on gaming, highlights, streams, and tech, but will typically hover around hot-button topics of the week. Joining AcuteJungle66 are a rotating selection of guests, ranging from friends and those interested in the topic at hand, fellow Scholarly Gamers, or members of raiding parties from gaming staples of his such as Destiny 2, The Division, or Rainbow Six Siege.